Monday, April 2, 2012

Lesson 3 NoveList

We found out that while we were trying to access the NoveList site, the Ebsco site was actually down. It really wasn't operator error, although some of it may have been :o).  NoveList is something that I started using a long time ago as a library assistant to help student to find other books in a series or even just to help me to find other books that might fit on our library shelves so I am quite familiar with these databases.

Discovery Exercises:

1)  I think these searches are fairly accurate. They give you an idea of what or where to look next for your next exciting read.  I also think that the series recommendations are very useful when a student comes in and wants the next book in the series and you need the title to look it up.  Telling us that they want "book 2" doesn't really tell us anything :o).

2)  My folder is now full of books for me to read over the summer :o).

3)  Once again here is where the series order comes in handy for our students when they are reading the series and need the next book.

4)   I think that the author Read-Alikes are the most useful for our patrons and also the Book Discussion Guides are helpful to our teachers who are doing read alouds in the classroom.

I read the article 7 Book Recommendation Websites and there are only a couple that I can recommend because I hadn't heard of most of them.  Of course I would recommend Which Book Should I Read Next.  This is a website that I frequently used in the past with students when they were stumped on what book to check out next after they had finished an amazing series or even just an awesome read.  I would also recommend the website Library Thing for someone who may want to organize a list of books that they have read or maybe even a list of what they may want to read.  It is also an amazing site for someone who may be very social and would like to talk to others online about the books that they have read and maybe can't get out to join bookclubs.

All in all this lesson was somewhat familiar territory for me and was nice to learn of some of the other databases and websites out there that we can show our patrons to look for new books and resources to read and use.  


No comments:

Post a Comment